Sunday, February 20, 2011

Ode to a Moon Pie

I am a Midwestern girl, through and through.  I was born in St. Charles, MO, grew up in Cottleville, MO and have only recently lived outside the Midwest.  I love that I grew up in (what used to be) rural Missouri.  I love that I grew up around farms and have stories that most people can't relate to.  We gardened, butchered, hauled hay... I've milked a cow (her name was Valentine).  I've got a little redneck in me, but I embrace it.  I had an amazing childhood with my large, close Catholic family.

When I first went away to college, I went to NMSU (now Truman State) in Kirksville, MO.  One night, some friends & I were driving from Kirksville to Columbia.  We stopped at a gas station in the middle of nowhere for snacks.  One of my purchases was a Moon Pie.  The only other person in the store, besides the clerk, was a disheveled looking dude holding a huge bag of dog food while talking loudly about how his dog just died.  We quietly and hurriedly made our way to the checkout, trying to stay under this guy's radar.  No such luck.  He looked at my items and proclaimed "Moon Pies are an institution here in the Midwest!".

I think of this every time I have a Moon Pie.  I don't have them often but if we make our way to Bass Pro, I have to buy them.  For whatever reason, Bass Pro stocks a variety of moon pies (I always go for classic chocolate) and they sell them 2 for a dollar.  I just can't leave without buying two.  Fortunately, they aren't exceptionally fattening... because I ate one on the way home & just now had the other one.
They really are an institution... a tasty tasty institution.

2 comments:

  1. Matt loves moon pies! He keeps a stash in his desk at church. Also, I didn't realize you went to Truman. My sister-in-law went there in the late 90's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt just keeps getting cooler the more little things I learn about him :)

    I was at Truman in the early '90s.

    ReplyDelete