Sunday, February 27, 2011

Clean slate

There's something about a clean house that makes it easier for me to function.  It clears my mind & makes me calmer, somehow.  I put off cleaning for too long & I get anxious & cloudy.  I was glad to finally have a few solid hours to get the house clean this weekend.

One of the first places to get re-messed is our dining room table.  We don't use our dining room or the table for "dining" and it is pretty much the first available surface upon walking in the door to lay anything down.  So, my purse always falls there.  Usually the mail ends up there & anything else that needs to be moved out of the way elsewhere in the house.

Moving or getting rid of said table is out of the question, however.  The table, which we call the Al Capone table, is very special to me.  According to my dad, the table was found in the basement of one of the houses his family occupied in Chicago (where he lived the first 14 years of his life).  The story is that the table came from a bar that was either owned by or frequented by Al Capone.  The heavy, cast iron base was designed so that the tables couldn't be thrown in bar fights.  This table came with my dad's family when they moved from Chicago to St. Louis & then came to reside at the house I grew up in.  I'm a sucker for old stuff, especially when attached to my family, so I got it next.

I'm also in love with the table cloth, an antique not related to my family, and it is a shame that it always gets covered with stuff.  The doily is related to my fam (mom crocheted it) and I made the ceramic bowl on it.  So, let's all enjoy a brief moment of clean table-ness (with help from Sammy).

No comments:

Post a Comment